Tuesday, June 17, 2014

What's Your Favorite Program?





Point.

Click.

Watch.


L-O-V-E by Nat King Cole


























































































































This morning I was drawn to watch the T.V. while I was in the kitchen. I had to plug it in. It's so tiny, my ex-boyfriend the Synthes rep Jim used to call it 'Speck'.

The first news was watching a body-boarder get thrown almost all the way to shore at the Wedge in Newport Beach. They showed the clip twice. They said, 'he wasn't hurt!' and laughed. But the clip was from March of this year--how could that be news?

Then there was talk of the weather. A witness in the midwest, Nebraska I think, said, 'It looked like God had two fingernails and scratched it down on the earth!'

Then came the word. One of the ones when I hear it, and I hear it a LOT on many comments, 'heartbreaking'.

This word is not an accident. 

This word is on purpose.

And this word is used to engage the viewer and keep them coming back for more.

Then came news on Iraq. Everything was written to get you to agree with what they were saying--including the people there, the soldiers, the 'questioning the sacrifice that was made?' part.

It was so obvious to me I had to turn it off.

All in all I saw about three minutes of the news broadcast, perhaps five, if you count the commercials, which there were many.

I share because I am not a person who watches T.V.  I used to. I was like the baby who was in the swing in front of the T.V. with that couple in one of the first pictures. I ate in front of it, I dressed in front of it, I shared 'cool phrases' from it with my friends in elementary school. I even was able to tell the time by what shows were on!  But once I got to junior high, I couldn't watch it. I had to study. And I've been studying ever since.

Now I can't even keep track of the story line, or the commercial ads and what they are trying to say, because my brain is not conditioned to follow it any more.

Every switch of a scene on the tube, creates a wave of pleasure from neurochemicals released. So the more switches--and there are many--the better you feel, and the more you want to watch.

For me, however, I am not able to 'keep up' and for me, any watching creates confusion and discomfort.

So--although the mainstream of our readers when asked on Facebook 'do you trust the media' respond NO--and they are aware of the effect of the control of the media by the people who make a lot of money off it--people still watch.

I don't know how to explain it. Is it good? Is it bad? How to be responsible? Are you addicted? 

I don't know.

No one can know for sure, but you.

The more you say, 'Nah--that's okay, there is NO WAY I could be controlled by that!'

Then I know what the answer is for sure. 

And that, my friends, truly IS heartbreaking.


Aloha and Mahalos,
Namaste,
Peace,

Reiki Doc